Italian luxury watch company Panerai was founded in 1860 in Italy. Founder Giovanni Panerai opened his first shop on Ponte alle Grazie in Florence, but the kicker is that the shop was also the city’s first watchmaking school. The school’s name was Officine Panerai, later changing its name to Orologeria Svizzera. Officine Panerai had supplied the Royal Italian Navy for years, creating watches to last in extreme conditions. It wasn’t until 1993 that their watches were available to the public. Those watches were the Luminor, Luminor Marina and the Mare Nostrum.